“How would you like me to take care of you my darling?” I asked myself languidly tracing robin egg blue fingernails over the creases where sleep dust collects beneath my eyelashes. I pulled my legs up to my belly under the blood stained sheets & replied coyly:
How to love me in ten easy steps:
- Start by washing my dishes with soft ambient music playing. Scent the warm water with lemons. Burn sandalwood incense & sweep the floors.
- Give me books thick with poetry, rich with reflection, deep in mystery, full of adventure. Read aloud softly by candlelight.
- Teach me to play your instrument. Practice listening & trusting myself to play tangible music out of intangible thought. Learn how my patience wanders & remind me that it’s as much about the journey to get there as the destination.
- Stock my pantry with wholesome ingredients to feed a weary soul – earl grey tea with double bergamot. Cinnamon & cloves to make rich chai with a generous dolap of condensed milk. Blood red beets, golden yams, rich green broccoli, rice & beans. Watch me eat slowly & fully of the fruits of your labour.
- Meditate with me. Set aside an hour just to sit & listen. Give me the gift of your attention in a busy day. Succumb to the ritual of presence.
- Dance with me. Throw yourself into the music, become intoxicated with the way my body moves feverent with abandon.
- Be affectionate in your actions. Trace your fingers up and down my wrists while speaking gentle loving things in my ear. Touch my cheek & look me in the eye when you tell me you love me. Put your hand on my shoulders & remind me to relax. Softly place your hand on the small of my back, trace my hip bones, and slip between my thighs.
- Take me camping, search out the wild, walk with me under the sky, be present in the presence of the world being.
- Run me a bath full of Epsom salts and lavender. Ease my weary bones for a while. Rub coconut oil into my hair & skin. Dab the scent of lilies behind my ear lobes & between my breasts. Paint my nails, and wrap my shoulders in soft linens.
- Build a fire in the alter of my soul. Sacrifice your petty idols, moonlight romances, and timid temptations. Let the smoke cleanse all that is not brilliant & bold. Let the flames engulf you until passion becomes all reason.